1 de agosto de 2011

| featured Seller | Laura Johnston |



Please tell us a bit about yourself.
I’m Laura Johnston, a full-time photographer & artist living in Raleigh, North Carolina. I’ve been creating things for as long as I can remember and it never gets old to me. I have an appreciation for things that are quirky, unusual, humorous, and well made. 

Apart from creating things, what do you do?
Well I’m almost always creating something! But I do like going for a walk with my boyfriend and two dogs, or just watching TV sometimes. I also enjoy traveling and exploring new places, so I try to do that as much as possible. And nothing can beat a good board game or old-fashioned conversation with friends. I also love learning, so I’m usually studying something (languages are one of my favorite subjects) – but right now I’m studying for the GMAT because I’m planning on going to school to get my MBA next year.

Where does your inspiration come from?
My inspiration comes from many places. Animals inspire me, people inspire me, exploring new places inspires me, coming across a good quote inspires me... 

What would you like to do in the future?
My options are open for the future. I have a few ideas, but as long as I’m involved in the creative world I’ll be happy. I enjoy owning my own business and plan to stay on that path. I’d like to incorporate animal rescue into my work somehow, whether it’s just donating resources or actually rescuing animals myself.

What does handmade mean to you?
There’s nothing quite like handmade. The experience of creating something from start to finish with your own hands, and being able to share it with other people who appreciate your work is very rewarding. Purchasing handmade is an experience, and the details make it special - from the actual item itself to the packaging and presentation.

How would you describe your creative process?
I try not to think too much about what I’m about to create before I create it… my planning process is very simple: come up with an idea, and make it happen. I let my pieces develop organically and go with my gut: the way an animal is posed or the coloring I decide to use, that just comes out on the spot. 
 I do get caught up on small details and that keeps me grounded; I’m very detail-oriented.
Click here to see more about my creative process.

Tell us about a funny experience you had while working.
Well, it’s usually not funny to me at the time, but I have a ridiculous case of butterfingers and I drop things a lot. Every now and again when I’m painting my animals I will drop them… the good news is that they usually don’t break, but the one that did is now in my personal collection. I think his poor broken/mended leg adds character! Anyway, it’s been a good way to test the strength of these little guys because I don’t think I could bring myself to drop them on purpose. :) 



Some of Laura's work:



Thanks so much Laura!
We hope to see your work again soon.
Laura's:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/laurajohnstonphotographer
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ljohnstonphoto
Tumblr: laura-johnston.tumblr.com

4 comentarios: